Space Industry and Business News
SPACE TRAVEL
Trump-Musk showdown threatens US space plans
Trump-Musk showdown threatens US space plans
By Issam Ahmed and Charlotte Causit
Washington (AFP) June 7, 2025

SpaceX's rockets ferry US astronauts to the International Space Station. Its Starlink satellite constellation blankets the globe with broadband, and the company is embedded in some of the Pentagon's most sensitive projects, including tracking hypersonic missiles.

So when President Donald Trump threatened on Thursday to cancel Elon Musk's federal contracts, space watchers snapped to attention.

Musk, the world's richest person, shot back that he would mothball Dragon -- the capsule NASA relies on for crew flights -- before retracting the threat a few hours later.

For now, experts say mutual dependence should keep a full-blown rupture at bay, but the episode exposes just how disruptive any break could be.

Founded in 2002, SpaceX leapfrogged legacy contractors to become the world's dominant launch provider.

Driven by Musk's ambition to make humanity multiplanetary, it is now NASA's sole means of sending astronauts to the ISS -- a symbol of post-Cold War cooperation and a testbed for deeper space missions.

- Space monopoly? -

The company has completed 10 regular crew rotations to the orbiting lab and is contracted for four more, under a deal worth nearly $5 billion.

That's just part of a broader portfolio that includes $4 billion from NASA for developing Starship, the next-generation megarocket; nearly $6 billion from the Space Force for launch services; and a reported $1.8 billion for Starshield, a classified spy satellite network.

Were Dragon grounded, the United States would again be forced to rely on Russian Soyuz rockets for ISS access -- as it did between 2011 and 2020, following the Space Shuttle's retirement and before Crew Dragon entered service.

"Under the current geopolitical climate, that would not be optimal," space analyst Laura Forczyk told AFP.

NASA had hoped Boeing's Starliner would provide redundancy, but persistent delays -- and a failed crewed test last year -- have kept it grounded.

Even Northrop Grumman's cargo missions now rely on SpaceX's Falcon 9, the workhorse of its rocket fleet.

The situation also casts a shadow over NASA's Artemis program.

A lunar lander variant of Starship is slated for Artemis III and IV, the next US crewed Moon missions. If Starship were sidelined, rival Blue Origin could benefit -- but the timeline would almost certainly slip, giving China, which aims to land humans by 2030, a chance to get there first, Forczyk warned.

"There are very few launch vehicles as capable as Falcon 9 -- it isn't feasible to walk away as easily as President Trump might assume," she said.

NASA meanwhile appeared eager to show that it had options.

"NASA is assessing the earliest potential for a Starliner flight to the International Space Station in early 2026, pending system certification and resolution of Starliner's technical issues," the agency said in a statement Friday to AFP.

Still, the feud could sour Trump on space altogether, Forczyk cautioned, complicating NASA's long-term plans.

SpaceX isn't entirely dependent on the US government. Starlink subscriptions and commercial launches account for a significant share of its revenue, and the company also flies private missions.

The next, with partner Axiom Space, will carry astronauts from India, Poland, and Hungary, funded by their respective governments.

- Private power, public risk -

But losing US government contracts would still be a major blow.

"It's such a doomsday scenario for both parties that it's hard to envision how US space efforts would fill the gap," Clayton Swope, deputy director of the Aerospace Security Project at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, told AFP.

"Both sides have every reason to bridge the disagreement and get back to business."

Signs of a rift emerged last weekend, when the White House abruptly withdrew its nomination of e-payments billionaire Jared Isaacman -- a close Musk ally who has twice flown to space with SpaceX -- as NASA administrator.

On a recent podcast, Isaacman said he believed he was dropped because "some people had some axes to grind, and I was a good, visible target."

The broader episode could also reignite debate over Washington's reliance on commercial partners, particularly when one company holds such a dominant position.

Swope noted that while the US government has long favored buying services from industry, military leaders tend to prefer owning the systems they depend on.

"This is just another data point that might bolster the case for why it can be risky," he said. "I think that seed has been planted in a lot of people's minds -- that it might not be worth the trust."

Related Links
Space Tourism, Space Transport and Space Exploration News

Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters
Tweet

RELATED CONTENT
The following news reports may link to other Space Media Network websites.
SPACE TRAVEL
NASA pioneer Dr. Stanley Sander dies at age of 80
Washington DC (UPI) Jun 5, 2025
One of NASA's top ozone depletion and air pollution scientists, credited with enhancing local air pollution measurement tools and dozens of other climate related research advancements, has died at the age of 80. Dr. Stanley Sander was broadly recognized for his work on research on atmospheric chemistry at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory where he started his career in 1971. "Stan made foundational contributions to our understanding of stratospheric ozone depletion, tropospheric air pollutio ... read more

SPACE TRAVEL
NASA seeks industry input to expand space relay and navigation services

New Zealand targets leadership in superconducting space tech with new research alliance

Astroscale to lead UK Orpheus mission with GBP 5.15M defence contract

Aethero Secures $8.4M to Build the Next Generation of Space-Based Computing and Autonomous Spacecraft

SPACE TRAVEL
Skynet 6A military satellite advances with successful module integration

Skynet 6A reaches integration milestone as Airbus prepares next-gen military satellite

Enveil Secures DIU Contract to Advance Hybrid Space Architecture Data Capabilities

Retired four-star US admiral convicted on corruption charges

SPACE TRAVEL
SPACE TRAVEL
Breakthrough hybrid model restores orbit accuracy for BeiDou-3 satellites

SpaceX launches advanced GPS satellite for Space Force

Satellites Enhance Navigation Safety on the Mersey with Cutting-Edge Tidal Mapping

Sierra Space Reaches Key Milestone in Space Force R-GPS Program

SPACE TRAVEL
Israel says killed most of Iran Guards' air force leadership

China blaming Japan for fighter jet incidents 'unacceptable': Tokyo

Finland says suspects Russian aircraft violated airspace

Boeing says focus at air show on 'supporting customers', not orders

SPACE TRAVEL
Smaller smarter sensor delivers precision vacuum measurement across vast pressure range

Taiwan adds China's Huawei, SMIC to export blacklist

New technique links aromatic rings for cleaner production of high-tech materials

World's first non-silicon 2D computer developed

SPACE TRAVEL
BlackSky Gen-3 delivers very hi-res imagery at warfighting speed - 12 hours after launch

NASA's Ready-to-Use Dataset Details Land Motion Across North America

Meteosat-12 begins prime service delivering enhanced weather data for Europe

China expands disaster monitoring with launch of Zhangheng 1B satellite

SPACE TRAVEL
Nations call for strong plastics treaty as difficult talks loom

S.Africa's gold mining past poisons Soweto community, residents say

Toxic Thailand rivers pinned on Myanmar mines

Indonesia revokes most mining permits in dive hotspot after outcry

Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us.