Free Newsletters - Space News - Defense Alert - Environment Report - Energy Monitor
. Space Industry and Business News .




TECH SPACE
H.K.'s SCMP editor under fire as press freedom 'shrinks'
by Staff Writers
Hong Kong (AFP) July 2, 2012


Volleyball: China blames loss on toxic pork fears
Beijing (AFP) July 2, 2012 - The coach of China's women's volleyball team has blamed a loss to the United States on his players not being able to eat pork because of fears it was laced with a toxic chemical, state media said Monday.

The Chinese were beaten in three straight sets in Sunday's World Grand Prix match in the eastern city of Ningbo on Sunday. The Americans had to beat China to win the round-round robin tournament, which involved 16 teams.

Chinese coach Yu Juemin said the team lost because the players were weak from not eating pork -- the staple meat for most Chinese, for three weeks as they played in various cities around China, the Beijing News said.

"We dared not eat pork when we went out to play matches because we were afraid of clenbuterol," Yu said, according to the report.

"We took pork only after we returned to Beilun."

Yu was referring to the team's training base in Ningbo, where pork and other food is tested to ensure no contaminants.

Clenbuterol is officially banned in China because, if eaten by humans, it can lead to dizziness, heart palpitations and, in worst cases, cancer.

However reports of clenbuterol being found in pork occur frequently in China, because the chemical can produce leaner meat.

More than 100 people, including dozens of government employees, were jailed in one province alone last year after clenbuterol was found in slaughterhouses across many farming regions.

Toxic pork is just one of many food safety scandals that have made Chinese extremely nervous about what they eat and drink.

In 2008, milk was at the centre of one of China's biggest food safety scandals when the industrial chemical melamine was found to have been illegally added to dairy products to give the appearance of higher protein content.

At least six babies died and another 300,000 became ill after drinking milk tainted with melamine.

The first China-born editor of Hong Kong's flagship English-language paper admits he made a "bad call" in cutting coverage of a mainland dissident's death, but denies he is a stooge for Beijing.

The South China Morning Post's editor-in-chief Wang Xiangwei has himself been making the news, accused of muzzling the newspaper to appease Chinese authorities, amid a broader fear that Hong Kong is losing cherished freedoms.

Such concerns fuelled Hong Kong's biggest protest in eight years on Sunday just after a weekend visit by Chinese President Hu Jintao, to mark the 15th anniversary of the territory's handover and the inauguration of its new leader.

Angry journalists at the 109-year-old South China Morning Post, one of the world's most profitable dailies, allege a steady erosion of their freedom to report on China since Wang took over the editorship in February.

He began his career at the state-run China Daily, Beijing's leading English-language paper, and sits on a mainland political advisory body. He has even been forced to deny that he is a secret Communist Party member.

"If I had a hidden agenda, it would have come out a long time ago," Wang, 47, told AFP in an interview.

Internal bickering at the SCMP exploded into the open after the death last month of Li Wangyang, a Tiananmen Square democracy activist who was found hanged in his mainland hospital ward.

The official verdict was suicide. But his family suspect foul play given that Li was blind, nearly deaf and barely able to walk. His death received prominent coverage across Hong Kong's Chinese-language media.

But while the SCMP carried the Li story at length in the first edition of the June 7 newspaper, Wang replaced it for the second edition and reduced the original story to a 101-word brief.

"It was never my intention to downplay that story and try to exercise self-censorship," Wang said in the interview, adding he was "shocked at the scale of the reaction to all of this".

"I have to make a lot of decisions, and looking back on this one, it was a bad call."

-- 'In-house censor' --

The Post eventually went harder on the Li story, with front-page splashes, editorials and two columns by Wang, who ran a statement in the paper saying he had waited "until more facts and details... could be established".

But staff questioned why the story ran at all on June 7 if the facts were in doubt, and concerns about Wang's editorship are gaining wider traction after an SCMP sub-editor challenged him in a terse email exchange that went public.

In an opinion piece last week, the Wall Street Journal said Wang had "built a reputation as the newspaper's in-house censor since he became China editor in 2000" and encouraged stories that were favourable towards Beijing.

"I totally reject the accusations made against me by the Wall Street Journal Asia saying I act as a censor, that is totally out of line and totally biased," Wang told AFP.

"Over the past 16 years I have organised and written many important and politically sensitive stories, and we have never wavered from those. For all those people who have some concerns, read our paper and judge for yourself."

Wang joined the Post in 1996 as a business reporter covering China, after stints at the BBC World Service's Chinese unit in London and at another newspaper in Hong Kong.

He was appointed editor-in-chief this year, succeeding a long line of foreign editors, by a management team working under Robert Kuok, a Malaysian tycoon who has businesses in China and a controlling stake in the paper.

Staff at the Post said that Wang's mainland connections helped ensure that his columns were a must-read in the newspaper's China coverage, which still produces stories critical of Beijing.

But they say reporters are frustrated at having stories rejected and being told whom they should and should not interview, while experienced foreign correspondents have seen their contracts lapse under Wang.

"The whole organisation feels like it is slowly turning into the China Daily," one senior SCMP journalist told AFP. "The newspaper is pulling its punches."

-- Press freedom in doubt --

In a statement, the International Federation of Journalists flagged up the "worrying" move by the SCMP to discontinue the contracts of a number of its most experienced foreign journalists.

They include Paul Mooney, who wrote many of the SCMP's award-winning articles on Chinese human-rights issues in recent years. The newspaper no longer has any foreigners reporting from mainland China.

The new chief executive of Hong Kong's semi-autonomous government, Leung Chun-ying, pledged in his inauguration speech on Sunday to "protect press freedom and defend the impartiality of the media".

But results of a survey released last week by the Hong Kong Journalists Association (HKJA) illustrated the widely held view that press freedom is declining in the territory 15 years after it reverted to China from Britain.

A total of 87 percent of respondents said that press freedom is worse now than at the beginning of outgoing chief executive Donald Tsang's term in 2005, citing self-censorship, restricted information and interference from Beijing.

"You see a clear trend of press freedom shrinking," HKJA chairwoman Mak Yingting told AFP, adding the SCMP row "is clearly a case of self-censorship".

"I hope journalists and newspaper management can adhere to professionalism. If they don't, their credibility is at stake," she said. "If credibility is compromised, you are nothing."

.


Related Links
Space Technology News - Applications and Research






Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle




Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News





TECH SPACE
Samsung to fight block on US sales of Galaxy Nexus
Seoul (AFP) June 30, 2012
South Korea's Samsung vowed Saturday to "take all available measures" to fight a US court's decision to block American sales of its Galaxy Nexus smartphones made in collaboration with Google. US District Court Judge Lucy Koh on Friday granted Apple's request for an injunction blocking US sales of the smartphone, a model that aims to challenge the iPhone. "Samsung is disappointed, as the ... read more


TECH SPACE
Body scanner takes tailoring to the masses

H.K.'s SCMP editor under fire as press freedom 'shrinks'

Apple pays $60 mn to end China iPad trademark row

Now Everyone Can Build a Satellite Like NASA: Online!

TECH SPACE
Lockheed Martin Selected to Manage Major Defense Information Systems Network Operations

Lockheed Martin Selected to Deliver Major Improvements to DoD's ISR Information Sharing Capabilities

Boeing FAB-T Demonstrates Communications with On-orbit AEHF Satellite

Lockheed Martin Completes Environmental Testing on Second US Navy Satellite

TECH SPACE
ATK Completes Software TIM for Liberty under NASA's Commercial Crew Program

MSG-3 Now Installed In Ariane 5

Haigh-Farr Supports SpaceX in First Docking of the Dragon Capsule to ISS

NASA Adds Orbital's Antares To Launch Services II Contract

TECH SPACE
New system navigates without satellites

Test: Drones' GPS navigation can be hacked

Trial by vacuum brings next Galileo satellites closer to launch

Boeing Completes Fifth GPS IIF Satellite for USAF

TECH SPACE
Storm researcher calls for new air safety guidelines

Japan buys F-35 stealth jets despite price rise

Sweden could lend Swiss Gripen jets

Embraer to build executive jets in China

TECH SPACE
Discovery of material with amazing properties

Micron to buy troubled Japan chip-maker Elpida

Rewriting quantum chips with a beam of light

New technique allows simulation of noncrystalline materials

TECH SPACE
Arianespace to launch DZZ-HR high-resolution observation satellite

China to invest in Earth monitoring system

Delving Inside Earth from Space

Earth observation for us and our planet

TECH SPACE
Guinness says Philippine croc world's largest

Bulgaria passes new waste law in bid to dodge EU fines

Evidence of oceanic 'green rust' offers hope for the future

Maths formula leads researchers to source of pollution




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement