by Staff Writers
London (AFP) July 13, 2014
The new US-built F-35 stealth fighter jet will not appear as planned at Britain's Farnborough air show on Monday but may still take part at the end of the week, organisers said.
The entire fleet of F-35s, set to become the backbone of much of the air defences of several Western countries, was grounded in the United States last week because of an engine fire.
"Unfortunately the F-35B Lightning II will not be displaying at the Farnborough International Airshow tomorrow, Monday 14 July," the organisers said in a statement.
"The aircraft is still awaiting US DoD (Department of Defence) clearance but we are hopeful that it will fly at the airshow by the end of the week."
The organisers said that while they were hoping for a "positive result" for an appearance later in the week, "we fully support the stance to never compromise the safety of either pilots or show participants".
The Lockheed Martin-manufactured F-35's first international appearance at the Royal International Air Tattoo in Britain last week was cancelled in an embarrassing setback for the costly programme.
Both the US Air Force and Navy last week ordered a halt to all F-35 flights following a June 23 engine fire on one of the planes, which at $400 billion (300 billion euros) is most expensive weapons project in US history.
A top Pentagon official said on Thursday that the fire was likely an isolated incident and not part of a wider problem.
Officials had viewed the July 14-20 Farnborough Show as a promising opportunity to show off the new plane before a global audience of potential buyers.
Britain has invested heavily in the jets, which are to be used on its new generation of aircraft carriers.
Aerospace News at SpaceMart.com
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement All images and articles appearing on Space Media Network have been edited or digitally altered in some way. Any requests to remove copyright material will be acted upon in a timely and appropriate manner. Any attempt to extort money from Space Media Network will be ignored and reported to Australian Law Enforcement Agencies as a potential case of financial fraud involving the use of a telephonic carriage device or postal service.|