Subscribe to our free daily newsletters
  Space Industry and Business News  




Subscribe to our free daily newsletters



US Commander Suspects North Korea Will Stage Second Nuclear Test

General B.B. Bell, commander of US forces in South Korea.
by Staff Writers
Seoul (AFP) Jan 09, 2007
The commander of US forces in South Korea said Tuesday he believes North Korea will test a second nuclear bomb at some time in the future. General B.B. Bell was speaking after recent reports that the communist state is preparing for a repeat test, following its first one on October 9. Bell told a press conference the North Koreans had claimed they have more than one nuclear weapon.

"They've tested one. Therefore there's no reason to believe that at some time in the future, when it serves their purposes, that they won't test another one," he said.

"I suspect some day they will."

Bell heads 29,000 US troops in the peninsula, supporting South Korea's 680,000-strong armed forces against any attack from the North's 1.1 million military.

"Should North Korea attack the South in any way, the combined forces command will respond and we will win quickly and we will win decisively," he said.

"It's just that simple. Those are not hollow words, that is a fact."

A South Korean foreign ministry official said Friday that activity had been detected at Punggye in the northeast of North Korea, near the site of the first test, but there were no signs yet of preparations for a second detonation.

The official was speaking after US television network ABC reported that North Korea appeared to have prepared for a repeat blast. The first sparked worldwide concern and United Nations sanctions.

On Sunday Chung Hyung-Keun, a South Korean opposition lawmaker who was a deputy spy agency chief in the 1990s, said unusual personnel and construction activity had recently been detected at Punggye.

Chung said North Korea was fully prepared for a repeat test but was unlikely to go ahead pending the outcome of upcoming talks.

The latest round of six-nation talks on the North's nuclear programme ended in Beijing in December without a breakthrough. The US State Department has said the talks could resume as early as this month.

Financial officials from North Korea and the United States are scheduled to meet separately, possibly this month, to try to settle a row over US financial sanctions imposed over the North's alleged counterfeiting and other illegal activities.

earlier related report
China Cannot Confirm Quick Restart To North Korea Nuke Talks
Beijing (AFP) Jan 9 - China on Tuesday said it hoped for an "early resumption" of six-party talks on North Korea's nuclear program but would not confirm a US statement that they could restart in January. "An early resumption of the six-party talks is a common wish of all the six parties," foreign ministry spokeman Liu Jianchao told a press briefing.

"We hope all the parties can find ways to solve problems and strive for an early resumption of the talks and positive progress," added Liu, who said setting an actual date required further "consultations".

A US State Department spokesman said on Friday the talks could resume later this month after a fruitless previous round in December.

"I would expect that those talks could reconvene again as early as January, as early as this month," spokesman Sean McCormack said.

McCormack said the main US negotiator, Assistant Secretary of State Christopher Hill, was working to get the parties -- China, Japan, North and South Korea and Russia -- together within the next four weeks.

The long-running six-party negotiations were suspended in late 2005 after North Korea walked out in protest at US financial sanctions imposed on a Macau bank accused of illicit dealings on behalf of Pyongyang.

The talks resumed in December -- following North Korea's October nuclear weapons test -- but ended in deadlock after Pyongyang insisted the financial sanctions be lifted before it would discuss nuclear disarmament.

Asked what he thought of the prospects for the talks achieving progress in 2007, Liu said that disarming North Korea was an "arduous task" requiring the patience and wisdom of all parties.

Source: Agence France-Presse

Related Links
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
Learn about missile defense at SpaceWar.com
All about missiles at SpaceWar.com
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com



Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News


North Would Not Dare Conduct New Atomic Test Says South Korean Minister
Seoul (AFP) Jan 08, 2007
South Korea's unification minister, Seoul's top policymaker on North Korea, predicted Monday that Pyongyang would not dare conduct a second nuclear test because of the severe consequences it would face. Lee Jae-Joung told Yonhap news agency there were no signs that Pyongyang, which conducted its first underground nuclear test on October 9, would stage another. "At present, no signs have been found yet," Lee said.







  • 10000 Chinese Domain Names Vanish Amid Web Chaos
  • The Internet -- A Fragile System Threatened By Natural Disaster
  • Internet Resumption Still Shaky After Taiwan Quake

  • Arianespace To Launch ProtoStar I
  • India To Launch Latest Space Rocket



  • Boeing To Begin Second Phase Of Enhanced Polar System Payload Study
  • HisdeSat To Provide Communications Services For The Belgium Defence Ministry

  • New Stars Shed Light On The Past
  • DOE Office Of Science Awards 95 Million Hours Of Supercomputing Time To Advance Research
  • Integral Systems Awarded Contract For Taiwan's NSPO Ground Segment
  • New Molecules Fastest Ever For Optical Technologies

  • Amazon Founder Recruiting For Private Space Program
  • Space Command Civilian Volunteers To Deploy Down Range

  • Japanese Scientists Discover Huge Undersea Lava Plateau
  • Raytheon Delivers VIIRS Sensor Engineering Development Unit
  • Northrop Grumman To Develop System Requirements For USAF Alternate Infrared Sat System
  • Digitalglobe Announces Ball Aerospace Is Building Worldview 2 Satellite

  • BAE Systems Demonstrates Passive Geo-location Technology
  • Mobile Navigation More Accessible Than Ever
  • Russian Defense Ministry Lifts GLONASS Restrictions
  • BAE Systems Demonstrates Passive Geo-location Technology

  • The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright Space.TV Corporation. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space.TV Corp on any Web page published or hosted by Space.TV Corp. Privacy Statement