by Staff Writers
San Francisco (AFP) Aug 29, 2012
Google on Wednesday released research showing that lives in the United States have gone multi-screen, with people bouncing between smartphones, tablets, computers and televisions.
Nine out of 10 people use a variety of screens either one after another, according to a Google report titled "The New Multi-screen World: Understanding Cross-Platform Consumer Behavior."
The research showed that 77 percent of television viewers do so with another device in hand, often using tablets or smartphones for online searches inspired by what they see.
"How many times have you started reading an email on your phone while commuting, and then continued it on your laptop when you got home?" Gai Pham of Google mobile ads marketing asked rhetorically.
"Or perhaps you saw a commercial for a new car and then used your tablet to search for the specs and see it in action?" Pham continued.
"If these things sound familiar, that's because they're all part of the new norm in multi-screen behavior."
Google cited the findings as evidence that advertisers would be wise to develop campaigns adapted to the trend of people shifting from one screen to another.
The findings resulted from research done in the second quarter of this year in the US cities of Austin, Texas; Boston, Massachusetts; and Los Angeles.
Judge sets December hearing on Samsung phone ban
Judge Lucy Koh said in an order Wednesday she would bypass proceedings on preliminary injunction and go directly to Apple's request for a permanent ban on sales of certain phones by the South Korean electronics giant.
The December 6 hearing will also include debate on whether to triple the jury award of over $1 billion.
Because the jury last week found that Samsung "willfully" infringed on Apple patents for its iconic iPhone, the judge may triple the award as a punitive measure.
Apple has asked the court to ban some of the newer 4G phones from Samsung's Galaxy line as well as the Droid Charge sold through Verizon.
The case does not include Samsung's newest Galaxy S III, which was released subsequent to the suit but which is facing separate litigation.
Apple asked the US District Court in San Jose, California to ban the Galaxy S 4G, Galaxy S2 AT&T model, Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Galaxy S2 T-Mobile model, Galaxy S2 Epic 4G, Galaxy S Showcase, Droid Charge and Galaxy Prevail.
Samsung meanwhile asked the court to dissolve an injunction on its Galaxy Tab 10.1, after the jury found it did not infringe on Apple's design patent for the iPad tablet.
Koh said she would probably hear arguments on that motion on September 20.
She said in Wednesday's order that she would ask the parties for briefs on a permanent injunction sought by Apple, bypassing the temporary injunction in the interest of "judicial economy."
Samsung has pledged to fight the proposed ban.
Space Technology News - Applications and Research
Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.
Samsung vows 'all measures' to keep products in US
Seoul (AFP) Aug 28, 2012
South Korea's Samsung Electronics vowed on Tuesday to take "all necessary measures" to keep its products on US store shelves, in response to Apple's request for a ban on sales of some smartphones. After winning a $1.05 billion US court judgement in a patent suit last week, Apple on Monday filed a court request to ban eight Samsung mobile devices including versions of its Galaxy and Droid sma ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2012 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|